FENTON CHARTER PUBLIC SCHOOLS
The mission of the Fenton Charter Public Schools is to offer a high quality innovative education to all students in a safe, secure, nurturing environment where students, parents and staff become a community of learners achieving collaborative and successful outcomes.
REGULAR MEETING - BOARD OF DIRECTORS
FCPS: 8928 B Sunland Boulevard, Sun Valley, CA 91352 • (818) 962-3630
FACS: 11828 Gain Street, Lake View Terrace, CA 91342 • (818) 896-7482
SMBCCS: 1022 North Van Ness Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90038 • (323) 469-0971
FPC: 11351 Dronfield Avenue, Pacoima, CA 91331 • (818) 485-5900
STEM and FCLA: 8926 Sunland Boulevard, Sun Valley, CA 91352 • (818) 962-3636
June 29, 2017 – 11:30 A.M.
Fenton Charter Public Schools Offices - Boardroom
8928B Sunland Boulevard, Sun Valley, CA 91352
Instructions for Presentations to the Board by Parents and Citizens
The Fenton Charter Public Schools (“Charter Schools”) welcome your participation at the Charter Schools’ Board meetings. The purpose of a public meeting of the Board of Directors (“Board”) is to conduct the affairs of the Charter Schools in public. Your participation assures us of continuing community interest in our Charter Schools. To assist you in the case of speaking/participating in our meetings, the following guidelines are provided:
- Agendas are available to all audience members at the door to the meeting.
- “Request to Speak” forms are available to all audience members who wish to speak on any agenda items or under the general category of “Presentations from the Public”. “Presentations from the Public” is set aside for members of the audience to raise issues that are not specifically on the agenda. However, due to public meeting laws, the Board can only listen to your issue, not respond or take action. These presentations are limited to three (3) minutes and total time allotted to non-agenda items will not exceed fifteen (15) minutes. The Board may give direction to staff to respond to your concern or you may be offered the option of returning with a citizen-requested item.
- You may also complete a “Request to Speak” form to address the Board on Agenda items. With regard to such agenda items, you may specify that agenda item on your “Request to Speak” form and you will be given an opportunity to speak for up to five (5) minutes when the Board discusses that item. The total time allocated to agenda items will not exceed thirty (30) minutes per item.
- When addressing the Board, speakers are requested to state their name and address from the podium and adhere to the time limits set forth.
- Any public records relating to an agenda item for an open session of the Board which are distributed to all, or a majority of all, of the Board members shall be available for public inspection at 11828 Gain Street, Lake View Terrace, California.
- Call to Order – Chairperson of the Board – Joe Lucente
- Roll Call – Secretary of the Board – Walter Gomez and Robin Rodriguez
- Flag Salute – Chair Lucente
- Additions/Corrections to the Agenda – Chair Lucente
- Minutes of Previous Regular Meeting – Chair Lucente
Minutes of the May 18, 2017 Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors will be presented for approval.
It is recommended that the Board approve the minutes of the previous meeting.
- Presentations from the Public – Chair Lucente
Any persons present desiring to address the Board of Directors on any proper matter.
Agenda items: No individual presentation shall be for more than five (5) minutes and the total time for this purpose shall not exceed thirty (30) minutes per agenda item.
Non-agenda items: No individual presentation shall be for more than three (3) minutes and the total time for this purpose shall not exceed fifteen (15) minutes.
Ordinarily, Board members will not respond to presentations and no action can be taken. However, the Board may give direction to staff following a presentation.
- Committee/Council Reports
- Finance Committee – Sarah Ananta, Maria Patrón (FPC); Emma Colmenares, Robert Zúñiga (SMBCCS); Nicole Langlois (FCLA); Toni Frear (STEM)
Budget, Facilities and Safety Council –Tony Peña, Marty Penner (FACS)
- Instruction Committee – Kelly Froelich, Mara Shinn Smith (FPC); Sandra Hernandez, Jennifer Nishimoto (SMBCCS); Jennifer Mares (FCLA); Angie Castellana Ferri (STEM)
Curriculum and Assessment Council – Barbara Ausherman, Lilia Padilla Zúñiga, Christopher Torres (FACS)
- Personnel Committee –Coco Salazar, Monique Stamps (FPC); Walter Gomez, Joycelyn O’Brien (SMBCCS); Donna Weber (FCLA); Jennifer Pimentel (STEM)
Human Resource and Personnel Council – Rolando Gutierrez (FACS)
- Parent/Community Advocacy – Krystal Hernandez, Abigail Lopez-Dee (FPC); Ariana Gomez, Bunny Wolfer (SMBCCS); Cecilia Quijano (FCLA); Crisinda Ismail (STEM)
School-Community Relations Council – Elizabeth Jimenez, Alin Kazarian, Tiffany Walker (FACS)
- School Site Council
- English Learner Advisory Committee
- Treasurer/CFO’s Report: Kristin Dietz, Vice President, EdTec - FCPS Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer
The Chief Financial Officer will present the May 2017 Financial Update (financial statements, cash flow position, and any variations in revenues and expenditures from the approved budgets), and April/May 2017 Financials for all sites,.
- Directors’ Reports
- Fenton Avenue Charter School (FACS) – Mrs. Stacy Hutter
- Santa Monica Boulevard Community Charter School (SMBCCS) – Dr. David Riddick
- Fenton Primary Center (FPC) – Mr. Richard Parra
- Fenton STEM Academy (STEM) – Mrs. Jennifer Miller
- Fenton Charter Leadership Academy (FCLA) – Mrs. Wendy Kaufman
- Executive Director’s Report: Irene Sumida
III. CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
All matters listed under the consent agenda are considered by the Board to be routine and will be approved/enacted by the Board in one motion in the form listed below. Unless specifically requested by a Board member for further discussion or removed from the agenda, there will be no discussion of these items prior to the Board’s vote on them. The Executive Director recommends approval of all consent agenda items.
- Recommendation to approve 2017-2018 Homeless Education Policy for FACS, FPC, SMBCCS, FCLA and STEM
- Recommendation to approve 2017-2018 Consolidated Application Certification of Assurances Statement, Protected Prayer Certification Statement, and Application for Categorical Programs for FACS, FPC, SMBCCS, STEM and FCLA
- Recommendation to approve revised General Accounting Policies and Procedures Manual
- Recommendation to approve notice to authorizing district, LAUSD, to reserve the right of Fenton schools to leave LAUSD SELPA
It is recommended that the Board approve the Consent Agenda.
- ITEMS SCHEDULED FOR ACTION
- Recommendation to approve final staff rosters, list of Lead Teachers and stipends, and FCPS employees’ contracts for the 2017-2018
It is recommended that the Board approve item IV.A.
- Recommendation to approve extension of master services agreement with EdTec, Inc.
It is recommended that the Board approve item IV.B.
- Recommendation to approve Education Protection Act spending plan for 2017-2018 school year
It is recommended that the Board approve item IV.C.
- Recommendation to approve 2017-2018 Local Control and Accountability Plans (LCAPs) for Fenton Avenue Charter School, Fenton Primary Center, Santa Monica Boulevard Community Charter School, Fenton Charter Leadership Academy and Fenton STEM Academy
It is recommended that the Board approve item IV.D.
- Recommendation to approve 2017-2018 budgets for Fenton Avenue Charter School, Fenton Primary Center, Santa Monica Boulevard Community Charter School, Fenton Charter Leadership Academy and Fenton STEM Academy
It is recommended that the Board approve item IV.E.
- Recommendation to approve slate of Board of Directors for 2017-2018
It is recommended that the Board approve item IV.F.
- ITEMS SCHEDULED FOR INFORMATION
- FCPS Board of Directors’ Meetings for 2017-2018
- Name change from Fenton Academy for Social and Emotional Learning to Fenton Charter Leadership Academy
- Update on FCPS OPEB Trust
- Executive Director Succession Plan
- CLOSED SESSION
Chair Lucente will make the following announcement:
“The Board of Directors will now be moving into closed session to discuss matters described in Section VI. Matters to be discussed are those permitted by Government Code Section 54956.9 (existing or anticipated litigation)”
Convene to closed session
- Existing or anticipated litigation (Government Code 54956.9)
VII. RETURN TO OPEN SESSION - ITEMS SCHEDULED FOR ACTION
Reconvene to open session
Chair Lucente will announce any action taken in Closed Session.
The meeting was adjourned at ____________________.
The next regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Fenton Charter Public Schools will be held on Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 4:30 p.m. in the boardroom of the Fenton Charter Public Schools Office, 8928B Sunland Boulevard, Sun Valley, CA 91352.